Training Series Introduction
- Basic Training Series Description
- What you will learn
- What you will get
- Important Training Series Dates
Free Sierra Club Snowcamping Informational Clinics
Learn more about the Snowcamping Training Series at one of our informational
clinics, coming soon to an outdoor store near you! (These is no reservation needed
for these clinics - just show up and join us!)
|  REI Berkeley  ||  Thursday, November 29, 2012 7-8:30pm  |
|  REI San Francisco  ||  Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7-8:30pm  |
- Want to extend your summer backpacking season?
- Ever wonder how that lawyer survived trapped in the Sierra snow for three days?
- Ever worried that you're not prepared when you go cross country skiing or backcountry snowboarding?
- Learn winter survival from a team that has taken over 3,150 individuals snow camping for over the last 34 years!
Basic Training Series Description
The San Francisco Bay Chapter of the Sierra Club offers a
comprehensive training course in snow camping. Each year a select
group of individuals and families participate in this opportunity
to experience the wonders of the Sierra Nevada backcountry in
the winter. Our program includes:
- A full-day in-classroom training program.
- Two weekend trips (one two-day, one three-day) to experience snow camping first hand.
These trips aren't for wimps! We ask that all applicants be in good physical shape and have some backcountry experience.
The objective of the series is to provide experienced backpackers, cross country skiers, snowshoers, and backcountry snowboarders with the information, training, and support needed to ensure safe and enjoyable winter adventures!
Our trips are highly participatory; learning is achieved through group involvement, the sharing of personal experiences and skills, and practical experience in the field. Participants will be divided into groups with one to two very experienced leaders and several trained assistant leaders.
What you will learn
- Winter survival techniques
- Proper clothing and gear for all seasons
- How to recognize and treat hypothermia
- How to build a snow cave, snow cave drawing, b&w
- Basic map and compass skills
- Winter backcountry cooking techniques ( snow kitchen)
What you will get
- One day of classroom training
- Five days and three nights of hands-on snow camping experience
- Snowcamping Training Manual
- T-shirt, mug, or souvenir to remember the experience
- An opportunity to make a lot of great friends and see some beautiful winter scenery
Important Training Series Dates And Fees
| Early Bird Applications
November 29, 2013
December 13, 2013
|| Classroom Training
January 11, 2014
|| Fee Structure and Applications