Earth Day 2013
The Sierra Club will be taking part in Earth Day/Week events all over the Bay Area this April and early May. Come to these events — even better, volunteer to help staff the Sierra Club tables! We are participating in all of these events, but only sponsoring events marked "Sponsored by Sierra Club".
Northern Alameda County Group
- Sat., April 13 – Berkeley Bay Festival at Berkeley Marina–set-up at 10 am, tabling 11 – 4, and clean-up 4 – 4:30 pm. To volunteer contact Joanne Drabek at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 318-4614.
- Sat., April 20 – Oakland–tree-planting–9 am to 1 pm; meet Arthur Boone at 9 am at 627 62nd St. in North Oakland. The Group plants trees almost every Saturday from mid-October to mid-June. To volunteer contact Joanne Drabek at email@example.com or (510) 318-4614. Sponsored by Sierra Club.
- Sat, April 20 – Emeryville Fair at Doyle Hollis Park–set-up at 10 am, tabling 11 – 3, and clean-up 3 – 3:30 pm. To volunteer contact Joanne Drabek at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510)318-4614.
- Sat., April 20 – City of Alameda Earth Day Fair at Washington Park (location subject to change)–set-up at 9:30 am, tabling 10 – 3, and clean-up 3 – 3:30 pm. To volunteer contact Joanne Drabek at email@example.com or (510) 318-4614.
- Sat., April 20 – Waste Management Earth Day Celebration, hosted by Waste Management of Northern California/Nevada at the Davis Street Resource Recovery Complex, 2615 Davis St. in San Leandro (located adjacent to Oyster Bay Point shoreline trails), 10 am-2 pm. Event offers visitors a deeper look into the issue of waste generation through free tours of the facility. Also includes fun hands-on activities for the kids, free drop-off of electronics and reusable goods, and free bags of WM Earthcare compost. For more information, visit: www.davisstreet.wm.com
- April 23rd - "A Fierce Green Fire" A new documentary about the history of the environmental movement. It has received accolades at a number of film festivals, including Sundance. The Sierra Club naturally plays a role — no documentary about the environmental movement would be complete without us. Auditorium at Berkeley City College, 5:30 pm.
- Tues., April 23 - Reduce Reuse Recycle: Let’s Talk Trash at the Commonwealth Club, San Francisco. Come learn about the different ways people are working towards a sustainable future and the everyday actions that could move us toward our zero waste goals. http://bit.ly/letstalktrash
Southern Alameda County Group
- Sat., April 20 – Let’s Go Green Together, an Earth Day community event hosted by the city of Fremont and Washington Hospital at the Conrad E. Anderson MD Auditorium’s Washington West building, 2500 Mowry Ave.–11 am – 3 pm.
- Saturday, May 11 – Healthy Kids Fitness Expo, hosted by the City of Newark and the Newark Unified School District Joint Task Force on Youth Issues at the Silliman Activity Center’s Sportsfield Park, 6800 Mowry Ave. (at Cherry St.) in Newark–10 am – 2 pm. Event will promote health, fitness, and active lifestyles for kids by offering interactive booths, entertainment, food, and fun for kids and the entire family.
To help with the Sierra Club tables at these events, contact Vinnie Bacon at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 796-8870.
- Sat., April 20 – John Muir Earth Day/birthday celebration, John Muir National Historic Site, 4202 Alhambra Ave., Martinez. Come celebrate the birthday and legacy of the Sierra Club’s founder and first president, John Muir. Free admission to the historic Muir home and orchards, open 10 am – 4 pm, with environmental exhibits, food, music, and entertainment throughout the day. The Delta Group needs volunteers to help staff a Sierra Club information table. To help, please contact Janess Hanson at (925) 458-0860.
- Sat., May 4 – Earth Day work party, Fredrickson Lane, Contra Loma Park, Antioch. Spring clean-up along the Delta Group’s one-mile adopted park entrance road. Rain postpones. Meet 10 am in the trailhead parking area at sharp bend in Fredrickson Lane, just before park entrance. Leader: Tim Donahue, (925) 754-8801. Sponsored by Sierra Club.
Come Celebrate Earth Day Marin
What: An Earth Day celebration for the whole family!
When: Sunday, April 21, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Where: Redwood High School, 395 Doherty Drive, Larkspur (map)
Newly added: 350.org's riveting documentary about the urgent math of the climate change movement, featuring best-selling author and activist Bill McKibben, Bishop Desmond Tutu and author Naomi Klein, will conclude the festival with a screening at 5 p.m.: "DO THE MATH." See the preview.
A live interview with award-winning Tar Sands and "the True Cost of Oil" photographer Garth Lenz (as seen at TEDx, in TIME and in the New York Times), as well as comedy, live music, inspiring speakers on the cutting edge of climate change solutions, hands-on learning demonstrations and tasty, local, organic food!
Hear international thought leader Peter Barnes, author of "Who Owns the Sky" and "Climate Solutions: A Citizen's Guide" and founder of Credo Mobile/Working Assets.
Also, enjoy a special children's festival within Earth Day Marin, "Sea Party," presented by Greenwood School 7th & 8th Grades: interactive games and activities led by middle school students from Greenwood School relating to coastal and watershed creatures such as whales, sharks, otters, salmon, and birds.
More information: http://earthdaymarin.org.
- Wednesday, April 24 "Sea Level Rise in the San Francisco Bay Area". Join the Bay Chapter and the Climate Legacy Campaign to celebrate Earth Day by discussing the future of the San Francisco Bay under climate change. Presenters will tackle likely sea-level-rise scenarios, predicted impacts, and adaptation strategies including living shorelines. Refreshments and light appetizers will be provided. Yosemite Conference Room, 3rd floor, 85 Second Street, San Francisco, 5:30. RSVP online today, or just show up!.
- Friday, April 19 – BART Blue Sky Festival, celebrating Earth Day and BART’s 40 years of service–Justin Herman Plaza (by Embarcadero BART), 11 am – 2 pm. To help with tabling, contact Jess at (510) 848-0800, ext. 304, or email@example.com.
- Saturday, April 20 – Earth Day San Francisco–Civic Center Plaza, 10 am – 6 pm. To help with tabling, contact Jess at (510) 848-0800, ext. 304, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mon., April 22 – Climate and Environmental Justice Action–noon, in front of U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 75 Hawthorne St. (between Second and Third, and Folsom and Howard)–rally and teach-in, featuring a speak-out by community members from urban, rural, and indigenous communities, youth-led events, culture and music, and a vigil for those who have died or are suffering from pollution-caused illnesses. The lead organizer for this event is Greenaction, (415)284-0430, ext. 31.